The power of 1PIE to catalyze local action comes through harnessing the diversity of 6 Partners in Empowerment (PIE) sectors to source the skills, services and other resources all communities need to thrive.
Empowering all voices to be heard, PIE serves as a participatory framework that can be used both by government agencies to support inclusive civic engagement or by grass-roots citizens as a self-organizing tool.
- Rather than focusing on target issues such as health, economics, or technology, PIE emphasizes peoples', organizations', and businesses' ROLES based on what each has to contribute based on locally determined needs;
- PIE roles are universal and can be applied to any challenge a community or region faces, advancing a whole-system approach to a sustainable world;
- As it is complimentary to issue oriented wheels, such as the 12 point Peace Room model forth by Barbara Marx-Hubbard; PIE promotes collaboration across social & environmental movements.
- Uniting PIE from the ground up is the foundation of EW's 7 Stages to Sustainability approach.
The following six sectors are the foundation of the PIE Framework, Network & 1PIE.org:
- Public Benefit Organizations – Who: Community based and international nonprofits, Foundations, Govt. Service Agencies dedicated to Social, Economic, and Environmental impact.
Educational Institutions – Who: Private, Govt. & Nonprofit educators, researchers, scientists advancing evidence based knowledge, technologies and tools for a sustainable world.
- Sustainable Businesses - Who: Aspiring and established private sector entrepreneurs, fund managers, investors & advocacy groups harnessing market forces to build a sustainable world.
- Responsible Media Groups – Who: Print, Radio, Web, Events, Communications Agencies and journalists who uphold truth in journalism & conscious messaging to support an informed public.
Social Entrepreneurs – Who: Citizen, non-profit & governmental visionaries & innovators who create solutions dedicated to SOCIAL PROFIT i.e. benefiting people & the planet as top priority.
Artists in Action - Who: Musicians, visual and performing artists, actors, and celebrities. “Whether through visual art, music or poetry, Artists speak with integrity and the world listens".